Date:      Tue, 21 Aug 2001 15:42:51 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Mike Silbersack <silby@silby.com>
To:        Giorgos Verigakis <verigak@algol.vtrip-ltd.com>
Cc:        <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Zope's performance issues

On Tue, 21 Aug 2001, Giorgos Verigakis wrote:

> On Tue, 21 Aug 2001, Mike Silbersack wrote:
> > I suspect that the reload time spiking is due to our initial sequence
> > number generation scheme, which is currently shared with OpenBSD.  This
> > will be changing RSN, which will likely change how your benchmarks look.
> > (They should look better after the change.)
>
> I don't understand. How is it related with the initial sequence number?
>

> > I'm curious about the reload time, though.  Is it really in seconds?  What
> > is it measuring?
>
> Yes it's in seconds. What I wanted to measure was the time a page needs to
> be loaded, because the results I was getting were unexpectable.

The current scheme causes problems with TIME_WAIT recycling, which may
cause long delays in establishing new connections if you're connection to
the same host rapidly enough to cause TIME_WAIT recycling to be an issue.
This is why there's a huge spike only when you get to 1000 hits/second.

There could be other reasons, of course, but this will overshadow the
others.  I tested your test program with apache, and the change is
noticeable.  So, hold off on further testing until later this week.

Mike "Silby" Silbersack