Date:      Mon, 25 Nov 2002 01:35:45 +0200
From:      Aragon Gouveia <aragon@phat.za.net>
To:        Adam Weinberger <adamw@FreeBSD.ORG>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: jumping sound with maestro3 card

| By Adam Weinberger <adamw@FreeBSD.ORG>
|                                          [ 2002-11-24 20:28 +0200 ]
> Yes. I have a Dell Inspiron 8100 laptop, p3/1.2Ghz, half a gig of RAM.
> When I play streaming mp3s the sound is fine, but playing tracks locally
> is a mess.

Mine's an Inspiron 8000, p3/1GHz, same ammount of RAM. I've found streaming
(over LAN) and locally played files to both be jumpy. Sound from movie
playback as well, which in turn is causing the video to jump too.

I've only tried xmms and mplayer so far, but with my past experience of
getting sound working properly on this system, all apps will probably do the
same thing. I had the same problems even in windows - sound playback only
became smooth after *alot* of BIOS and driver updates. I'm convinced the
Maestro3 is just a crap card. :) *sigh*

> I was going to use this laptop for my band's live shows... boot a custom
> kernel that would dedicate the system solely to becoming a sampler, but
> the blips and skips were too ridiculous.

Yea. I was hoping to wipe Windows from my notebook. Been setting up and
playing with FreeBSD 5.0-DP2 this weekend and have been VERY pleased with
how it runs on my notebook. Version 4 has always been useless for me because
of no cardbus support. The latest nvidia drivers even work pretty darn well
too.

I guess Windows will have to stay until I get a notebook with decent sound
hardware.

Thanks,
Aragon