Date:      Tue, 19 Dec 1995 19:36:05 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Jonathan M. Bresler" <jmb@FreeBSD.org>
To:        "Frank E. Terhaar-Yonkers" <fty@mcnc.org>
Cc:        p.richards@elsevier.co.uk, FreeBSD-current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: ppp

On Tue, 19 Dec 1995, Frank E. Terhaar-Yonkers wrote:

> This is bogus.  The phone lines to my house are so crappy that I regularly
> have to kill ijppp and restart it.  I don't want to have to kill all the X
> stuff as well, before I restart PPP.  Running ijppp and X has been a
> crap shoot.  About 1/4 the time, killing ppp locks up the system.
>
> What's the problem and why can't we fix it?

	do you have "delete ALL" in your /etc/ppp/ppp.{linkup,conf}

	this seems to be an X killer.

	every night i start ppp with "ppp -auto foobar".  before sleep i
kill ppp with kill -9.   X and my machine have been up for 10 days.
X never gets hammered.

	the man page stinks to high heaven.  someone needs to read the
code and write a new manpage detailing all the gotchas.  a blank line in
/etc/ppp/ppp.conf serves as a null label <POW!>

jmb

Jonathan M. Bresler        FreeBSD Postmaster         jmb@FreeBSD.ORG
play go. ride bike. hack FreeBSD.--ah the good life
i am moving to a new job.                 PLEASE USE: jmb@FreeBSD.ORG