Date:      Sat, 13 Mar 1999 12:21:05 +0200
From:      Mark Murray <mark@grondar.za>
To:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
Cc:        Valentin Shopov <valsho@yahoo.com>, current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: pcic.c & {,un}register_pcic_intr declarations

Mike Smith wrote:
> > I have card* compiled in (perhaps I should have mentioned that?), and
> > pcic* kldloaded.
> >
> > > This makes the pcic module useless, and, as I said, renders any
> > > combination other than 100% static *broken*.
> >
> > Rubbish! Why is my system working?
>
> Because you have an horrific mishmash of bits; it's not meant to be
> broken up as you have.

If that is the case, then the documentation and people's ideas
differ dramatically from reality. As I said, I have a nicely
working Libretto here. The configs could be tidier, and more
of the kernel could be KLD, but it works almost as well as PAO
did 7 months ago, and this is -CURRENT :-).

> > Any suggestions for a kernel neophyte on how to get stuck into 3)?
>
> Not really; you'd need to study how KLD currently works, then go back
> over the discussions that Peter, Doug, I and others have had about how
> we might identify modules within a file, and implement it.  I fear that
> it will result in binary incompatability (again).

Fooey :-(. Smells like a kernel registry-of-loaded-bits is needed?

Mark Murray