Date:      Sat, 12 Jun 1999 20:06:06 -0400
From:      Tim Vanderhoek <vanderh@ecf.utoronto.ca>
To:        ML Duke <mlduke@concentric.net>
Cc:        Sue Blake <sue@welearn.com.au>, freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Newbies First Aid Kit

On Fri, Jun 11, 1999 at 08:56:51PM -0600, ML Duke wrote:

> >    FreeBSD-Newbies is different. We don't ask for help or answer how-to
> >    questions. It is a discussion forum for newbies.
>
> I've been on this list, off and on, for some time. You keep saying the
> above, even harping on it, it seems, no disrespect intended. Why?

It's on the contract she signed about a year ago.  ;-)

When this list was created, most of the, um, dare I call them, Old
Guard, were loudly opposed to its creation.  Its purpose was far from
clear to them, and its backers were never quite able to succinctly
summarize its purpose in four words (or less).  Nevertheless,
freebsd-newbies was ultimately given life as a place where people, not
just new to FreeBSD, but intimidated by the whole UNIX aura hovering
inside most FreeBSD mailing-lists, could meet.  However, there was
a caveat: the new mailing list must not damage support structures
already in place for user-help.  The potential for this was deemed
to be very great by Old Guard of the Support Structures.  The cells
behind this potential are explained semi-regularly courtesy Sue, and I
expect a follow-up to your question re-listing them.  :)

I think, though, that one thing Sue (when I say "backers behind the
creation of this mailing list", I really "Sue Blake" --- that's why
her name appears here so often...it's not because of my secret plan to
take over the mailing-list under her name) (Dope!  I just gave away my
plan again!!)  ...  thing Sue doesn't do as well is explain what the
purpose of this mailing-list is.  Deep down, I believe that's because
she doesn't know, but, unfortunately, years of research into human
behaviour and other such nonsense argue that there actually is some
possibility she does have some legitimate purpose for this list.  Think
of this as "freebsd-chat", but for people who don't really belong or
aren't part of the, I'll do it again, may I say, umm, UNIX club,
for the everyday user who just wants to sit down at his/her computer,
do some work, learn something, play, whatever, but doesn't really
do UNIX, not for a living.  It's freebsd-chat for the non-developer.
A FreeBSD.ORG-sponsored list where users can get together and bitch
about stupid developers who don't write enough documentation, or
whatever.

Regardless, freebsd-chat is already well-known for being the list
where nothing is off-topic.  Discussions have ranged from dinner
at USENIX, to how-to-do what with FreeBSD, to the correct method
of spanking your child.  But there is always a very UNIX-hacker
feel to the discussions there (even for religous conversations).
This is the same list rehashed, but meant for the average person,
not the nerdy type that only gets a date on nights when their net
connection to freefall is too busy to get any real work done.

There.  Now that I have thoroughly, or, at least, in some manner
after a fashion, offended all those who would normally have agreed
with what I am writing, I'd like to say, ML Duke, that I think this
list can only, will only, be useful if it is treated as a type of
freebsd-chat for newbies.  Further, I think you will agree (actually,
I'm certain you will agree, but I don't want to sound cocky), that
encouraging people to ask questions will take away, perhaps take
away severely, from the aspect of the list that I just stated I
believe _must_ be emphasized if the world is to be an okay, happy,
sex-loving place.

[My humour is a little subtle sometimes.  This is most certainly not
one of those times, but I'll point out that Sue hasn't signed any
contracts with either FreeBSD Inc. or little green aliens, to the
best of my knowledge.]

> Please don't just say it's "policy" or something on that order.

Well, that too.

--
This is my .signature which gets appended to the end of my messages.