Date:      Thu, 26 May 2016 10:31:21 -0500
From:      Jason Bacon <bacon4000@gmail.com>
To:        Grzegorz Junka <list1@gjunka.com>, freebsd-infiniband@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: InfiniBand hw support out of the box?

Well, the kernel code and kernel modules are still a work-in-progress
and could cause instability, including panics. Forcing the user to build
them manually is a form of notification that they're not ready for
prime-time.  Since the kernel modules only take a few minutes to build,
there wouldn't be much advantage to including them by default.

On the flip side, installing the IB userland basically amounts to
installing IB headers and libraries and enabling a feature in a few
networking commands.  This poses minimal risk and saves the end-user
hours of compilation every time the base is updated.

Regards,

     JB