Date:      Wed, 5 Jul 1995 05:59:54 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Peter Dufault <dufault@hda.com>
To:        jhs@vector.eikon.e-technik.tu-muenchen.de (Julian Howard Stacey)
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Proposal to change name of this list to a less embarrassing one

Julian Howard Stacey writes:

> I propose we change the list name `hackers' to [ Suggestions Please ].

(This is going to cause hacker-list-sparks, and points out the need
for the non-existent "policy" list for these discussions)

Hackers is fine with me and I don't see the need for a change, but:

1. If the -hackers name is shown to be a problem then I support the
change.  Has this proven to be a problem for anyone, or are you
trying to head off possible future problems?  If it isn't broke,
don't fix it.

2. Are there many administrators out there who don't know the
traditional meaning of "hacker" and yet must follow the hacker list?
They should be well served by the newsgroups, and if they can't
get them/the questions aren't answered then maybe an "admins"
list is needed.

--
Peter Dufault               Real Time Machine Control and Simulation
HD Associates, Inc.         Voice: 508 433 6936