Date:      Sat, 26 Jul 1997 10:39:23 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Scott Blachowicz <scott@sabami.seaslug.org>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   some port maintenance questions

Hi-

I'm working on updating the nmh port and ran across a couple questions.

1) If I do a 'make install' with a different PREFIX than I did the original
   'make build', what is the expected behavior?  Since the 'configure' step
   effectively hardcodes a --prefix value into the code, shouldn't the
   'install' step try to detect it and error out early?

2) If the port/package has user-customizeable files, how are upgrades supposed
   to be handled?  If you do a 'make install' of the new version while the old
   is in place, then the pkg db stuff now has 2 packages pointing at the same
   set of filenames.  The new version will (possibly) overwrite the old version
   of the files...if it tries to save them, then the saved copy won't be in
   the pkg db at all.  Seems the pkg system really needs a pkg_upgrade command
   (or 'pkg_add -upgrade' option) of some sort?

Suggestions?

Thanx,
Scott Blachowicz  Ph: 206/283-8802x240   Mathsoft (Data Analysis Products Div)
                                         1700 Westlake Ave N #500
scott@statsci.com                        Seattle, WA USA   98109
Scott.Blachowicz@seaslug.org