Date:      Tue, 12 Jul 2005 15:06:37 -0700
From:      "Darren Pilgrim" <dmp@bitfreak.org>
To:        "'RC'" <rubbishcollector@yahoo.com>, <freebsd-isp@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: fastest way to duplicate production server?

From: RC <rubbishcollector@yahoo.com>
>=20
> We have a production FreeBSD 4.10 server running old versions=20
> of Apache/MySQL/PHP from ports.  We'd like to upgrade=20
> Apache/MySQL/PHP to the latest versions.  Before upgrading=20
> we'd like to test on a test box.
>=20
> What's the fastest way of duplicating the existing=20
> Apache/MySQL/PHP (including user databases)?  (The production=20
> server cannot go down for more than a few seconds.)

Make per-filesystem back-ups of everything excluding those files opened
read-write by whatever services you're running (ignore log files).  Use
nice to run the backup at a priority low enough to not usurp resources
from the production services.  Stop whatever services are running.  Use
fstat to make sure the excluded files are closed.  Make a backup of the
files excluded from the first backup run (again, ignore logs).  Restart
whatever services you stopped.

If you can get away with it, flip the volumes read-only before doing the
backup, it can make things just a little bit faster.