Date:      Sun, 03 Jan 1999 22:22:23 -0800
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        Gregory Bond <gnb@itga.com.au>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SOFTUPDATES hangs keyboard

> Current as at 199901040100UTC (but has happened since 3.0R when I started on
> 3.0).
>
> HP KAYAK XA (P-II 400, BX Mboard, Matrox G200 AGP, PS/2 mouse, HP keyboard
> with a bunch of extra buttons.)
>
> This is happening quite consistently.
>
> - boot -s, turn softupdates on on (unmounted) /var.
> - ^D to boot multi-user, system comes up.
> - Alt-F2 to switch to second vt
> - log in as root
>
> >From this point on, the keyboard stops working - perhaps because this is the
> first time a write to /var occurs?
>
>  - Hitting any "normal" key has no effect at all.
>  - Alt-Fn will swap to another vt
>  - after a bunch of keypresses (dunno if it is the number of 'normal" keys or
> the number of Alt-Fn presses), then beahviour changes again:
> 	- normal keys still to nothing
> 	- Alt-Fn keys now elicit a beep just like DOS does when the KB buffer
> is full.
>
> - At this point, the only solution is C-A-Del, boot single user, run fsck on
> the /var partition (usually somewhat mangled), turn off soft updates, ^D to
> start up, and the system is fine.
>
> Very repeatable, very clearly a SOFTUPDATES problem.

How is it "clearly a SOFTUPDATES problem"?

What's clear is that you have something spinning in an interrupt
handler.  Soft updates may be triggering this, but there's no guarantee
that it's the cause of the problem.

Start off by making sure that your softupdates files are symlinks to
the real thing, not stale copies.  Then add DDB to your kernel config,
and when the system wedges, hit alt-ctrl-escape, then type "trace" to
get a traceback.  If you can do this with a debug kernel (config -g
...) that would be even better.