Date:      Fri, 15 Jun 2001 10:03:23 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "K. Greenwood" <k_greenwood1@yahoo.com>
To:        Louis-Serge Bouchard <louis@Princeton.EDU>
Cc:        FreeBSD-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: problem with atapi cdrom

First off, your system has to have dual IDE channels
(and you have a second IDE cable available).  If this
is the case, you're set.  Your hard-drive would be
jumpered to master on channel 1 (ide0).  CDROM would
be master on channel 2 (ide1).

Next, when you enter the bios (on an old 486 dx4-100
award- it's "Standard CMOS Setup"), your hard-drive
has to be specified (correctly of course), but nothing
should be required for the secondary master.

If your system has any advanced IDE configurations,
try setting it to default.  I really don't know what
kind of settings you will have.

After FreeBSD boots up I generally go into kernel
configuration with full screen visual.  At this point
you have a nice little list.  Under storage I
generally remove all scsi and leave in only ata0,
ata1, and fdc0.

I also, generally, remove all nics because I use
either ep (3com 3c509's) or PCI nics.  Up to you
though.  And of course I remove the pcic0 (PCMCIA
controller) because I got no notebook.

After you Quit and accept the settings as is, it
should go to the sysinstall main menu .  If you hit
Scroll Lock you should be able to scroll up and see if
you have a acd0 device.  Hopefully you can run a
standard install at this point.  Good luck.

K. Greenwood