Date:      Sat, 11 Dec 2004 10:26:04 +0200
From:      Toomas Aas <toomas.aas@raad.tartu.ee>
To:        John <lists@reiteration.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: master.passwd restoring from 4.10 to 5.3

John wrote:

> Is it possible to restore/merge master.passwd across the revision boundary?

I just moved a bunch of user accounts from 4.9 system to 5.3 system. All
it took was pasting the relevant lines of old master.passwd into new
master.passwd using vipw. I didn't touch any system user accounts, of
course.

> Do I have to do the same with /etc/groups?

/etc/group is just a text file, so there are no problems. Except, again,
don't replace the system groups of your 5.3 system with the ones from 4.10.