Date:      Tue, 13 May 1997 19:02:54 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Joachim Kuebart <joki@kuebart.stuttgart.netsurf.de>
To:        Yaning Wang <yaning@shell.dave-world.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: CDROM can not be found

Hi!

On 13-May-97 at 01:00:42 Yaning Wang wrote:

>My CD is connected with a soundcard (Matshita CDROM/Panasonic Drive CR-563),
>however, it is supported by FreeBSD 2.2.1 according to The Complete FreeBSD
>(Walnut Creek CDROM). But it just can not be recognized. Each time during the

I blieve this is correct -- CDROMs on sound cards are supported by FreeBSD, but
not by the GENERIC kernel used by sysinstall -- P-p-please d-d-don't guillotine
me if I'm wrong, g-g-guys!

>installation, whenever I chose CDROM as the installation medium, the error
>message says: CD-ROM can not be found. (I bootup from DOS and launch the
>installation from the CD-ROM). Therefore, I was forced to divid my 2nd HD
>as two partitions inorder to use DOS partition to install (which works).

Good.

>The problem is the 2nd disk is too small and I do not know how to reclaim
>the DOS partition (I want use whole 2nd disk for FreeBSD). The bigger

Hmmm. Do you want to use the spare partition for /usr? Or /? or /var? If not,
where do you want to mount it? Well, I'll leave that to you.

In order to make a FreeBSD file system on the spare partition use
        fdisk wd1
and set the sysid in question to 165 (FreeBSD).
Then use "disklabel -e /dev/wd1s1" (or /dev/wd1s2 if the DOS partition is the
second one on the disk) to split your slice ("partitions" under FreeBSD are
"slices") into labels (or just one label). This will be called "h" if you want
to use it for /usr, or "e" if used for /var.
To do this you'll aprreciate "man disklabel"'s help!

Then you make file systems with newfs /dev/wd1s1e (or /dev/wd1s2h or
whatever...)

It's not trivial, but it's all straightforward, believe me!

>problem is the CD still can not be recognized. So, all those software
>on the CD can not be loaded. Please help, thanks.

In case you're still using the same kernel that's obvious. You'll have to
compile your own kernel. To do this, make sure /usr/src/sys exists. If not, go
back to square one and install the kernel source part!
To make your own kernel, go to /usr/src/sys/i386/conf.
Then copy LINT to a file named like your machine.
Then throw out almost everything except what you need. If you're unsure, look
at GENERIC which makes a working kernel (the one you used to install!)
Then, type
        config YOURNAME && cd ../../compile/YOURNAME && make all install && \
        reboot
and the fresh kernel should boot. If not, type "kernel.old" at the boot: prompt
to boot the old kernel and take a strong look at your kernel config file
again...

The new kernel will be able to recognise your CDROM if you have included the
correct drivers, and you'll be able to continue installation.

>(Please also advise how to mount floppy A: drive, which is not recognized
>neither)

You mount your floppy with
        mkdir /floppy               (if not already there)
        mount /dev/fd0 /floppy
        cd /floppy
        .... do something ...
        umount /floppy

In most cases floppies will have MSDOS format, then use
        mount -t msdos /dev/fd0 /floppy

Use /dev/fd1 for B:

Only in very strange cases the Floppy will not be "recognized". To find out if
it's recognized use "dmesg | grep fd" and look for error messages. If you see
error messages, tell us.

>My 1st HD is Western Digital 2.5G HD. It is controlled by WD EZ Drive
>because of the BIOS limitation. It is running under Win 95. I tried but
>failed many many time to install FreeBSD 2.2.1 to this disk. It seems
>FreeBSD has trouble to know EZ Drive. Actually, I can live with this

This is _well_ possible !

>situation (1st HD for Win 95, 2nd for FreeBSD). The problem is how
>and where should I install the BootMgr, so that when computer boots up
>I can have the choice to boot up from which disk (It seems it can only
>let you chose to bootup from which partition of the same disk).

That depends on the boot manager. Under DOS, run BOOTINST.EXE from the
/tools/srcs/bteasy directory on the CD. It will ask you where to install boot
managers. Install them on all the disks it sees to be able to boot from all
those disks. Master and slave are supported, 2nd controller seems not to be
supported :-(

>The only choice I have now is by switching the cable :-), to decide
>to use which OS.

Well, that's one way. That way, you get reluctant of switching and you'll
decide for FreeBSD. 8-)

>Any help is highly appreciated.

I hope some of this helps...

>My machine:
>Packard Bell Legend 100CD
>Pentium 60
>Matshita CDROM/Panasonic Drive CR-563
>HD1 Western Digital 2500RTL, 2.5G (Win 95, controled by EZ Drive)
>HD2 Seagate ST3491A, 420M (FreeBSD, can be controlled by either EZ drive or
BIOS)
>RAM 24M
>

>--
>Yaning Wang