Date:      Thu, 04 Dec 1997 10:16:18 +0100
From:      Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>
To:        Garrett Wollman <wollman@khavrinen.lcs.mit.edu>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Changing lpd's model of operation slightly...

In message <199712031818.NAA13289@khavrinen.lcs.mit.edu>, Garrett Wollman write
s:

>What I'm planning on doing (or rather, have done and am planning on
>committing once it's tested) is to separate the actual job-printing
>functionality out of lpd and into a separate program which lpd
>execv()s as necessary to start a printer.  This allows that part of
>the program to not occupy any memory resources while it is not being
>used, but does increase the memory used on machines that host active
>printers.

Question: will the interface between lpd and this program be an internal
one, or a officially supported interface ?  Will this be for instance
where we will plug in ghostscript or a bidirectional communication
postscript driver in the future ?

I would be really neat if we simply changed it to have a generic queing
frontend, to which you could submit files and processing directives,
a queue manager which will take care of submitting one job at a time,
in right priority/order and so on, and then configurable backends to do
the job.  That would allow the backend to du many other things than just
printing.  Can you say "job-queue"  :-)