Date:      Sun, 13 Apr 1997 22:02:15 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Andre Albsmeier <Andre.Albsmeier@mchp.siemens.de>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   procmail dies, why?

Hi,

I am running procmail on a FreeBSD-2.2.1 system with 32MB RAM and
150MB swap to deliver mail locally. A few days ago, a user received
a mail with a size of 8 MB. I only became aware of the problem due to a
"mailer local died with signal 11" in the syslog.

I tried to track the problem by running sendmail -q. I saw procmails
memory gowing up to 15MB and than the system began to swap. Shortly
later I got the above syslog message and the mail delivery was aborted.

Trying the same on a 2.2.1 machine with 64MB RAM worked properly.
Even a 2.1.7 machine with 16MB worked OK.

Is this a procmail failure, a kernel error or something different?
What can I do to find the reason for this behavior?

	-Andre