Date:      Sat, 19 Aug 1995 12:35:18 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com>
To:        rich@lamprey.utmb.edu
Cc:        FreeBSD-current@freefall.FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: sup/cvs interactions?

> Is it possible that the time stamp on a given file in
> /usr/src could ever move backward (become older)?  Could CVS
> do this when you revert changes?

No, cvs does not do that.  On an initial cvs co operation it sets the
date of the file to the time of the last commit.

On all supsequent cvs update operations it sets the time on the file
to the current date and time (this is so that make does not get confused.).

> Sup ignores files that are older on the server than on the
> client, so it wouldn't pick up this kind of change.

This depends on sup options.

> I'm seeing this once in a while.. Rich

Do you have ``old'' in your supfile lines?  Or do you run sup -o?

       -o	Sup will normally  only  upgrade  files  that  have
		changed  on  the  repository since the last time an
		upgrade was performed. That is, if the file in  the
		repository  is  newer  than  the date stored in the
		when file on the client.  The -o flag, or  the  old
		supfile  option,  will cause sup to check all files
		in the collection for changes instead of  just  the
		new ones.

I run without the old option, but on occasion do a sup -o just to
make sure things are staying in sync.