Date:      Thu, 20 Apr 2000 11:23:52 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Andrzej Bialecki <abial@webgiro.com>
To:        "Jeffrey S. Sharp" <jss@subatomix.com>
Cc:        freebsd-small@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: [HEADS-UP] reviewers needed for repairs to PicoBSD -

On Wed, 19 Apr 2000, Jeffrey S. Sharp wrote:

> On Wed, 19 Apr 2000 papowell@astart.com wrote:
> >
> > ... 'make supported build' ...
> >
> > Looks like the answer is no for now.
> >

> I'm also working on a make-based build system.  I pitched FreeBSD to my
> boss for use as an embedded OS, and I succeeded.  (Yay!)  So, I'm working
> on what I call the TinyBSD Development Kit (remember -- imitation is
> flattery).  I have been given copyright on the stuff I write, and will of
> course will release it to the public under a BSD-style license.
>
> While my system does not use configure, it does have the following
> interesting (IMHO) properties:
>
> * A hierarchial source tree, of arbitrary depth, that lets child
> buildtypes inherit/override configuration from their parents.
>
> * Support for multiple disks.
>
> * Arbitrary slicing/partitioning of disks.
>
> * Arbitrary number/type of filesystems, mappable to multiple
> partitions.
>
> * Crunched binaries or shared libraries.

Hmmm... Do you have some patented method for stripping unused parts of
shared libs? Otherwise the dynamic version in total occupies much more
space than crunched binary. I remember a couple of suggestions in the past
(should be in the archive).

Do you have some idea how to modularize picobsd better, so that some
modules (i.e. programs, libs) can be added/removed without recompiling
everything?

Do you plan to use kernel modules to give flexibility of adding/removing
drivers as needed?

The feature list sounds very nice. Keep up the good work!

Andrzej Bialecki

//  <abial@webgiro.com> WebGiro AB, Sweden (http://www.webgiro.com)
// ------ FreeBSD: The Power to Serve. http://www.freebsd.org --------
// --- Small & Embedded FreeBSD: http://www.freebsd.org/~picobsd/ ----