Date:      Wed, 22 Apr 1998 12:09:51 +0200 (SAT)
From:      Ian Cooper <ian@cdsec.com>
To:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: IPv6 + IPSec

My personal experience for what it is worth...

> Compiling the WIDE implementation is quite hard because of misnamed
> structure fields, etc. And the kernels dumps core sometimes...  The most
> important argument against the WIDE IPv6 (for me) that the applications
> are not so tightly integrated to the system as in the INRIA.

Pluses

1. The diffs apply perfectly to a stock kernel
2. The code compiles without even a warning
3. The kernel is rock solid stable

Minuses

1. IPSEC tunneling is not implemented
2. No provision is made for rfc1853 as a result of this, although the
   code to implement deencapsulation is pretty simple and short to
   implement

Otherwise, I think it is pretty cleanly written. Should there be any
volunteers to work on it, we'd be interested in the ISAKMP/Oakley
stuff, and would be keen to work on an implementation in conjunction with
others. The WIDE code would need tunnelling support in order to make it
truly useful.

--
Ian Cooper (ian@cdsec.com)                             Tel: +27 21 23-6065
Citadel Data Security                                  Fax: +27 21 24-3656