Date:      Thu, 29 Jan 2015 19:23:14 +0100
From:      Bernd Walter <ticso@cicely7.cicely.de>
To:        SAITOU Toshihide <toshi@ruby.ocn.ne.jp>
Cc:        freebsd-arm@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: System-On-Module

On Thu, Jan 29, 2015 at 10:40:28PM +0900, SAITOU Toshihide wrote:
> On Thu, 29 Jan 2015 13:35:05 +0100, Bernd Walter wrote:
> > On Thu, Jan 29, 2015 at 11:39:30AM +0000, Andrew Turner wrote:

> >> The only ARM vendor I know that has released documentation on their 3D
> >> hardware is Broadcom [1]. The only options for this are the Raspberry
> >> Pi or one of the mobile phones with a Broadcom CPU. I neither option to
> >> be applicable for your requirements.
> >
> > On the other hand people still struggle when it comes to CPI on RPi,
> > because it is handled by the GPU.
> > I'm still not so sure about this Broadcom SoC.
> > This is the reason why I like that the RPi Camera header is also used
> > on the Hummingboard and the BanannaPi.
> > The Hummingboard is an iMX6.
> > The BanannaPi unfortunately is an Allwinner and their datasheets are
> > AFAIK chinese only and IIRC also under NDA.
>
> It depends on the purpose, but I think the UVC camera is alternative.
>
> This class SOC has the sufficient power for the MJPEG
> recording. Because the MJPEG encoding is performed by the camera :)
> So, I think the GPU support is not necessary, unless you need
> simultaneously decoding.

On the RPi the GPU support is required because the camera interface
is hooked up to the GPU,w hile the ARM has no direct access.
Of course configuring the Omnivison chips is an art by itself.

> (I thought it would be nice if there is a NEON MPEG decoder...)

For the camera I'm mostly interested in technical pictures (feducil
detection, ...), no video encoding.
And for grafic support some LCD and HDMI, but in cases where fbdev support
is sufficient.
But of corse a NEON en-/decoder would be nice too.

--
B.Walter <bernd@bwct.de> http://www.bwct.de