Date:      Mon, 17 Sep 2001 16:05:27 -0700
From:      "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
To:        j mckitrick <jcm@FreeBSD-uk.eu.org>
Cc:        Chojin <freebsd@tarakan-network.com>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG, "George V. Neville-Neil" <gnn@neville-neil.com>
Subject:   Re: Problems getting STABLE running on a VAIO 505TL

> Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2001 23:45:21 +0100
> From: j mckitrick <jcm@FreeBSD-uk.eu.org>
> Sender: owner-freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
>
> | To explain why /usr/src/UPDATING has the order it does:
>
> Thanks!  No one has every actually explained the obvious.
> Once you see it, it makes a lot of sense, and makes it easier to remember.
>

> jm
> --
> My other computer is your windows box.

Thanks. I learned a long time ago that learning by rote is not very
effective. If I understand the reasoning and concepts behind a set  of
instructions, I am much more likely to do it right.

I've also learned that I am fairly good at writing tutorials and, like
you, I don't every remember seeing the whole thing annotated, although
I'm sure that everything I mentioned has been posted at one time or
another by Werner Losh, Mike Smith, and others back in the early 4.0
days when the new build procedure was established and details of the
/usr/src/UPDATING file changed on an almost daily basis.

R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)