Date:      Wed, 20 Sep 2000 21:34:03 +0100
From:      Brian Somers <brian@Awfulhak.org>
To:        naddy@mips.inka.de (Christian Weisgerber)
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org, brian@Awfulhak.org
Subject:   Re: mergemaster RFC (long)

> Brian Somers <brian@Awfulhak.org> wrote:
>
> > > 	First, the things I am definitely going to do. Christian "naddy"
> > > Weisgerber has taken on the task of porting mm to openbsd.
> >
> > I think it would be nice to aim to keep the two scripts exactly the
> > same, using `uname` when it's really necessary.
>
> If I have interpreted the noises Theo has made correctly, he wants
> mergemaster in the base tree.  I don't think he'll keep a "case
> `uname` ..." in there.

Of course if we didn't need it... that'd be far better :-)

> Most of the diff deals with two simple differences:
> - mergemaster uses "read -p <prompt>" throughout.  That fails for
>   OpenBSD's /bin/sh (pdksh), where "read -p" means something entirely
>   different.

That's not too bad as the read -p can be changed to echo/read.

> - On OpenBSD, "install" is synonymous to "install -c".  FreeBSD still
>   has the old behavior where plain "install" deletes the source file.

Maybe the best bet here is to have ``INSTALL=install'' at the top of
the script (``INSTALL="install -c" for FreeBSD).  It's a difference,
but managable.

> If we can get rid of those, the actual differences become more
> visible.
>
> Oh, and changing every instance of "FreeBSD" into "${OPSYS}" or
> some such would remove another few diff lines.

Aye.  Looks like we're thinking along the same lines.

I'll have to talk to Wes at BSDCon about trying to get the NetBSD
guys to introduce it there too - maybe some of the NetBSD developers
will be there too.

--
Brian <brian@Awfulhak.org>                        <brian@[uk.]FreeBSD.org>
      <http://www.Awfulhak.org>;                   <brian@[uk.]OpenBSD.org>