Date:      Mon, 05 Oct 1998 10:06:02 -0700
From:      Jon Ballard <jon.ballard@usa.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   process execution

Is there a function call from C, that is like yield() to threads, that
would hand the
execution to the next process?  I remember something like this on older
Sys V clones
but can't remember what it is.   ("break()" syscall?)

I need to preform REAL TIME execution.   An example would be like:

while(true) {
    idle = true;
    if(condition1) {  idle = false;  ...  }
    if(condition2) {  idle = false;  ...  }
    if(idle) {
        hand execution to other processes
        }
    }

The process would not need it's full time-slice if the conditions would
cause
an idle state.

The process would not have any open file descriptors.  It is dealing
stricly with shared
memory.  So the conditions would be testing for flags set in the shared
memory.  Using
a timer is not ok.

The goal is to have the process strictly in user time and no system time
if idle.

It's been 10 years since I've done such a thing and can't remember what
that function
is...   (yes I've grep'ed the manuals)

Thanks