Date:      Thu, 16 Aug 2001 01:08:48 +0800
From:      Michael Robinson <robinson@netrinsics.com>
To:        Greg Lewis <glewis@eyesbeyond.com>
Cc:        java@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: java status and

On Thu, Aug 16, 2001 at 01:28:40AM +0930, Greg Lewis wrote:
> > The FreeBSD 4.x kernel has no kernel threads. The JDKs rely on kernel
> > threads
>
> Nope.  The only thing kernel threads provide is the ability to utilise
> multiple CPUs.  The JDK will work quite well with FreeBSD's userland
> pthreads (we just have to finish this part of the porting).

Don't forget Hotspot.  That requires (according to Nate) the ability to
have multiple system calls pending.

The performance hit for a non-Hotspot JDK makes FreeBSD particularly
unattractive for deployment of production servers.

	-Michael Robinson

P.S. There's irony for you: develop on desktop FreeBSD, but deploy servers
on Linux.