Date:      Thu, 30 Aug 2001 18:47:00 -0700
From:      Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
To:        Blaz Zupan <blaz@inlimbo.org>
Cc:        security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Security update packages don't recognized patched 4.3-RELEASE

--QRj9sO5tAVLaXnSD

On Thu, Aug 30, 2001 at 10:28:55PM +0200, Blaz Zupan wrote:
> I usually cvsup RELENG_4_3 to update our servers, but this time I wanted to
> quickly patch the lpd hole by simply installing the update package.
> Unfortunatelly it complains that it can only be installed on 4.3-RELEASE.
> Well, I *am* running 4.3-RELEASE, but patched up to 4.3-RELEASE-p14. I believe
> the +INSTALL script should support this, what do others think?

It was a deliberate decision to only support 4.3-RELEASE, not
arbitrary cvsup dates of RELENG_4_3 so we don't have to worry about
possible weird package interactions with changes on that branch at
some point.  Basically, we expect that if you can cvsup once, you can
cvsup twice :)

Kris

--QRj9sO5tAVLaXnSD

--QRj9sO5tAVLaXnSD--