Date:      Sat, 20 Jan 2001 10:28:59 -0500 (EST)
From:      Andrew Gallatin <gallatin@cs.duke.edu>
To:        Ralph Schreyer <schreyer@th.physik.uni-bonn.de>
Cc:        <alpha@FreeBSD.ORG>, Jan Conrad <conrad@th.physik.uni-bonn.de>
Subject:   Re: Enlightenment does not run on a DIGITAL 433au

Ralph Schreyer writes:
 > Hello,
 >
 > We have installed 4.2 RELEASE on our 433au and up to now everything works
 > fine. The compilation of enlightenment-0.16.5 went through without any
 > problems, but if we start enlightenment, nothing happens, aside from the
 > fact that the box starts swapping very heavily. The output of 'top' gives

<...>

Make sure that when you compile it, the compiler is using "-O" as its
optimization flag.  Not -O2 or -O4 or anything like that.  And make
sure there is a '-O' there.  Gcc on alpha is buggy and we've found
that using anything other than -O can result in subtle bugs in
gcc-compiled binaries.

 > yields that big sizes for XF86_SVGA, even if enlightenment is not there.
 > Of course 12305M can't be true, but (aside from enlightenment) the system
 > works fine. Any experiences in this direction?

This is a red herring.  XFree86 memory maps large regions of
discontigous device memory your machine's PCI bus.  This is not
physical memory, so you needn't be concerned with it.

Drew