Date:      Mon, 3 Mar 1997 22:20:27 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        Julian Elischer <julian@whistle.com>
Cc:        multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: [FUN/WORK] BSD Networking virtual meeting.

On Mon, 3 Mar 1997, Julian Elischer wrote:

> I'd like to set up a 'virtual meeting' with the intent of
> 1/ trying to see if we can make something useful out of the
> Mbone.

I think the IETF people would differ :)

> 2/ Try get a good forum together to discuss some problems that
> I'm seeing, and changes that people are contemplating with
> the networking code.

This would be FreeBSD development like no one has ever seen, and I guess I
mean 'seen' literally.  :)

> It'd be nice to see if we can figure out to get
> a meeting together to discuss these things
> and help us all co-ordinate this,
> as well as trying to see if we can get as many people
> involved as a learning experience as possible.

The hardest part is timing.  FreeBSD is such a worldwide endeavor, it's
hard to pick a time when everyone is awake.  :)  For you and I and several
others it's not so bad since we're on the US west coast, but for Amancio
it's a completely different time.

> I'd like ot have an mbone section with a 'chat room'
> along side so that people with no access to
> mbone can also learn something..

> is there anyone else who'd be intersted?
> I'm not only looking for people to watch but I'd like to have
> maybe Bill Fenner and Garret on hand too to discuss
> the pro's and cons of some of the things that I think
> might come up. It might even be possible to get some of the
> EX CSRG folks in if it sounds like it might be useful.

That would be neat.  Assuming it's some date & time I'll be here or have
access to a mbone-capable workstation, I'd like to join in and offer
whatever (limited) expertise I can.  This is sticky since for the majority
of mbone activites, I'm usually in class.

I should borrow my associate's P133 X-ified laptop and bend the mbone
utilities to my will.  Compile in the qcam driver and the audio, if the
SB-compatible card in it won't blow up trying to fake full duplex, and
that should get me up and running.

(UO Housing is a Mac camp and the PC on the desk is a purely Windoze
box.  Argh.)

> Certainly if we can once work out the technology for this we should
> be able to use it to great effect!

And a free(BSD) plug -- yes, you can pay thousands of dollars to do
realtime conferencing, but we chose not to and did it anyway. :)