Date:      Wed, 13 Jun 2001 09:44:26 -0400
From:      "Antoine Beaupre (LMC)" <Antoine.Beaupre@ericsson.ca>
To:        Crist Clark <crist.clark@globalstar.com>
Cc:        Evren Yurtesen <yurtesen@ispro.net.tr>, Garrett Wollman <wollman@khavrinen.lcs.mit.edu>, Jamie Norwood <mistwolf@mushhaven.net>, freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: HTTP and FTP

Crist Clark wrote:

> Evren Yurtesen wrote:
>
>>I wonder if it is possible in HTTP to make users login to their home dirs
>>automaticly and when they put files it goes in with their uid,gid and of
>>course they will login with their own passwords? etc. =)
>>

> It should not be terribly difficult.

Actualy, there's mod_put that is a plugin module for apache to do
something like that:

http://hpwww.ec-lyon.fr/~vincent/apache/mod_put.html

Please note, however, that there's not really a "login" session in http.

HTTP == stateless, FTP == stateful, as said somewhere else.

>>also what is the simplicity of that kind of setup compared with http
>>server instead of using an ftp server?

[snipped discussion on implementation possibilities, see mod_put. :)]

> And the
> other issue is finding a HTTP client that will push POSTs how you want.

Netscape 3.0, amaya. ;)

Please see a dating article of Apache Week:

http://www.apacheweek.com/features/put

> The main limitation when considering HTTP versus FTP is to remember that
> HTTP is stateless and FTP is not. There are other little things here and
> there that HTTP cannot do that FTP can. I do not believe HTTP has a
> mechanism to rename a file (without downloading, deleting, and uploading).

Indeed, there isn't. Only GET/HEAD/OPTIONS/CONNECT/POST/PUT/DELETE, on
top of my head.

Anyways, HTTP cleint haven't evolve in this direction. The WWW is
becoming more a TV then a publishing space, so what the heck.

Honestly, who of these AOL jerks even *knows* what FTP *is*? Or "HTTP",
for that matter! :) It's all "the web" or "the internet" for them. Just
the same zappers... And the protocol has evolve to feed this direction.

> Although it is easy enough to make your own implementation there is none
> in HTTP itself (I could easily be wrong, I don't know RFC2616 by heart).

It would be useless because no client will implement it. If someone
mentions the J word, I hack a 125Mb jre into his head. ;)

A.
--
La sémantique est la gravité de l'abstraction.