Date:      Fri, 05 Dec 1997 11:36:54 +0100
From:      Martin Machacek <Martin.Machacek@eunet.cz>
To:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   upgrading installed packages

Is there any easy way how to upgrade already installed packages to current
versions? I know how to CVSup ports, how to install ports but I dont' know how
to upgrade a package to newer version (e.g. to something-1.1) without first
deleting the old old version (e.g. something 1.0). The version numbers seem to
be part of the name of the package. I agree that it might be in some situation
usefull to keep the old version and install new version next to it. Actually the
pkg_add command does not handle this situation well for many packages either
(particalarly if the newer version uses same names for executables as the old
version). Am I missing something? BTW, are there any plans to move to RedHat
package manager? It appears to me as a good idea since rpm seems to work just
fine and IMHO offers better functionality than native FreeBSD pkg commands.

Cheers,
--
Martin Machacek
[Internet CZ, Zirovnicka 6/3133, 106 00 Prague 10, Czech Republic]