Date:      Wed, 12 Apr 1995 17:49:15 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Rashid Karimov." <rashid@haven.ios.com>
To:        greg@mn.interact.net (Greg Rowe)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freefall.cdrom.com
Subject:   Re: Kernel Config for > 16meg

		Hi there,

>  I have some Compaq systems with EISA memory expansion boards running FreeBSD
> 2.0 (next to the latest Snap). The systems have 16 meg on the main board and 8
> meg on the expansion board. The Compaq config utility and DOS both see 24 meg
> but FreeBSD only picks up 16. Is there a way to kludge the kernel so that it
> uses all 24 meg ? Thanks.

	Most probably you'll need to hack a kernel code -
	it determines the memsize via BIOS call , which reports
	wrong number on certain brands ( Gateway and Micron are
	two examples).

	Should be somewhere in sys/kernel/machdep.c ... or alike.
	Search for the string 'Testing memory' - the code which
	determines  the memory is some 50 lines above.

	Instead of making the BIOS call just assign some resonable
	value to extmem or basemem - I don't remember exactly ;)
	That will be safe , since the kernel verifies the memory
	and won't use the memory above the first invalid/nonexistent
	page

> --

SY
RK