Date:      Sun, 15 Aug 1999 00:35:39 -0400 (EDT)
From:      John <jpapalia@voicenet.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   IP's, NIC's, and masquerading in 3.2-Stable

Hi all,

I know the first that will happen will be a request for more information,
but I'm not sure which information I need, which is why I'm here =)

I have two PC's running - a winblowz box, and a FreeBSD box. My FreeBSD
box is configured as my gateway, and I have configured masquerading.  When
using dial-up modem access to my ISP, all goes well.

Thing is, I'm now living on campus, and have access to ethernet in my
apartment.  So, I installed a second ethernet card in my FBSD box.  When i
set up fxp0 *and* fxp1 in my kernel, and then set up in rc.conf to show
both ethernet cards configured, I end up with *neither* card working right
- the gateway fails between the two boxes.

Questions -

how does one correctly configure having two ethernet cards
within the same box?

how do i define one to allow masquerading between the boxes, while having
the other as being either static or dynamic IP addy offa the ethernet
hookup?

I'm a newbie at ethernetting to the outside world, so any
guidance/tutorials that you can point me to would be great.

Please just ask if i Need to provide more info.

Thanks!!!
--John