Date:      Fri, 19 Aug 2011 11:04:18 +0100
From:      Ben Gray <ben.r.gray@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Test tools for new network driver

Hi,

     I'm not sure if this the right list to post to, but here goes ...

     I'm currently writing a driver for the SMSC LAN95xx range of USB to
Ethernet adapter chips
(http://www.smsc.com/index.php?tid=300&pid=135&tab=1). The basic RX/TX
works and now I'm trying to get the H/W checksum offload working,
however I've come across some problems with the H/W implementation, e.g.
it doesn't work with small (<64 byte) packets.

     So I was wondering if anyone knows of any test tools I can use to
fire all the different unusual sort of packets at the interface to see
how the H/W csum reacts, i.e. runt packets, packets with IP options,
IPv6 packets with extension headers, etc.

     Another question I had was; is there a kernel function to generate
a random MAC address ? Or is there a FreeBSD (or FOSS equivalent)
Ethernet manufacturer ID I could use for randomly generated MAC addresses ?

     The primarily purpose is for the range of Texas Instruments ARM
development boards (Pandaboard & Beagleboard), however there does exist
at least one USB dongle you can buy for the PC which uses this chipset.

Thanks in advance,
Ben