Date:      Thu, 25 Jul 2002 12:46:44 -0400
From:      "Jud" <jud@myrealbox.com>
To:        Siegbert.Baude@gmx.de
Cc:        justsovanilla@yahoo.co.in, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Re: Yipeeeeeeeeeeeee

-----Original Message-----
From: "Siegbert Baude" <Siegbert.Baude@gmx.de>
To: "Piyush" <justsovanilla@yahoo.co.in>
Date: Thu, 25 Jul 2002 18:00:37 +0200
Subject: Re: Yipeeeeeeeeeeeee

Hi Piyush,

> Great......!.........Installed FreeBSD........the only problem seems
to be that X windows
> doesn't seem to be configured,when I tried configuring it during the
install it said the
> package isn't installed and after I installled it .......it still says
the smae thing.......any
> ideas?...Also how do I configure my sound card.......?.......and
modem........do the smae
> linux commands work(most of them?)...........how do I see a list of
binaries I have
> installed?.......
> Thanx a helluva lot........Jud........Siegbert........a
lotttttttttttttttt

[snip]

I've snipped Siegbert's excellent answer just to add=20
a few more suggestions.  If you want to see ports or=20
packages you have installed yourself, the pkg_version=20
command and the var/db/pkg directory are good places=20
to look.  If you're looking for binaries or ports by
name, the whereis command is nice.  For more thorough
searching for various types of files, there's find of
course.

One possibility as to why XFree86 isn't showing up is
that you asked "too soon."  Have you tried again after
rebooting or a "rehash" command?

There are excellent articles on setting up X with a
window manager and connecting to the Net with a modem
at http://www.onlamp.com/pub/ct/15 (they're the two
oldest articles in the series).

HTH,

Jud