Date:      Mon, 19 Mar 2012 13:59:15 +0100
From:      Peter Maloney <peter.maloney@brockmann-consult.de>
To:        freebsd-fs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: booting from ZFS hangs and system does not respond

PC-BSD probably overwrote your pmbr/bootcode. Reinstall whatever pmbr
and bootcode you were previously using, eg. with gpart bootcode ...

Or another option is just simplify and modernize your setup, and boot
right off of zfs (in which case the zfs root should be the first zfs
slice on disk... not sure if you can put it in a slice inside a slice as
you have described)