Date:      Fri, 8 Jul 2016 02:45:19 -0700
From:      Mark Millard <markmi@dsl-only.net>
To:        FreeBSD Ports <freebsd-ports@freebsd.org>, mat@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: [HEADSUP] change in default openssl coming

Mathieu Arnold mat at FreeBSD.org wrote on Fri Jul 8 06:26:33 UTC 2016:

> I will be changing the
> default OpenSSL for the ports tree from the base system version to
> security/openssl.

This could be odd for something like ports-mgmt/pkg if it currently uses =
the base system version: needing to have had already built =
security/openssl in order to build/use pkg.

pkg tends to depend on the base system or have its own copies of things =
so that it is largely self contained --at lest that is my general =
understanding.

I'm only using ports-mgmt/pkg as an illustration of an idea: I might be =
wrong about it using openssl for example. There might be other things =
besides ports-mgmt/pkg that might have such a relationship to the base =
system, sort of a bootstrapping issue.

I'll note that I sometimes use powerpc and/or powerpc64 where =
source-based builds are required: no binary distributions are generally =
available for ports for them.

=3D=3D=3D
Mark Millard
markmi at dsl-only.net