Date:      Fri, 23 Jan 1998 15:18:37 -0500
From:      Peter Doshi <pdoshi@primetime.com>
To:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-java@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Howto:  FreeBSD 2.2.5 and ICQ Java .981

I originally posted this to icq.public.java hosted by
news.mirabilis.com - contact: Peter Doshi, pdoshi@primetime.com

#################

THIS IS A GUIDE ABOUT HOW TO INSTALL ICQ FOR JAVA.
  (it is a bit FreeBSD specific, though)
  (remember, this is how *I* got it working)

This document contains the sections:
    *INSTALLING JAVA
    *INSTALLING ICQ
    *TROUBLESHOOTING
    *TIPS FOR POSTING TO THIS GROUP

Please let me know if this helps, and perhaps we can use this to start a
more complete reference for how to setup ICQ for Java.  Most
importantly, if you get it working, let others know.  That's what this
document is all about.  Write to the group and to pdoshi@primetime.com -
thanks.

My system:
        OS:  FreeBSD 2.2.5-R
       ICQ:  ICQ for Java .981 (the one w/ firewall support)
              Note:  I have not tested out firewall support yet
       JDK:  K. White's JDK 1.1 for FreeBSD
   Patches:  No jdk or any patches whatsoever.
    My Net:  Dialup, Dynamic IP
Connection

The way I installed it.

   [ JAVA INSTALLATION SECTION ]

1.  Download K White's JDK 1.1 distribution for FreeBSD at
      http://www.csi.uottawa.ca/~kwhite/javaport.html

    Take the link "jdk1.1-FreeBSD" near the bottom of the page under
      the heading "Binary Releases".  This will take you to the URL:
      http://www.csi.uottawa.ca/~kwhite/jdkbinaries/jdk1.1-FreeBSD.html
      But to access that page, you must read the license agreement.  The
      login and password are at the bottom of the file.

    The file name is:  jdk1.1-FreeBSD.tar.gz

    Save the file in /usr/local/

2.  Read his instructions in addition to mine (just in case I missed
    something, it's better to be safe, but I'm attempting to cover
    all the steps I took in getting it working)

3.  Comands to enter at the prompt:
  a)  cd /usr/local/
  b)  cat jdk1.1-FreeBSD.tar.gz | (cd /usr/local; tar xvfzp -)
         ... it will untar into /usr/local/jdk1.1/

  c)  cd /usr/local/jdk1.1/lib/
  d)  rm -f font.properties

4.  (this ONLY APPLIES to people who ALREADY HAVE a Motif shareable
     library and wish to use it instead of the lesstif-0.79 library
     which comes with the jdk1.1 distribution).
    To those who apply, change:

       a)   cd .../jdk1.1/lib/i386/green_threads
       b)   rm libXm.so.1.2
       c)   ln -s .../libXm.so.1.2 libXm.so.1.2

     [http://www.csi.uottawa.ca/~kwhite/jdkbinaries/jdk1.1-FreeBSD.html
      is where I stole this information.  It didn't apply to me, so for
      those of you who don't have Motif like me, ignore section #4]

5.  JDK requires that ksh is available in /bin/ksh - in case you don't
    have the ksh, it can be installed under the port called "pdksh"
    (look in the ports section called "shells").

    Once it is installed, enter the following commmand:

           ln -s /usr/local/bin/ksh /bin/ksh

6.  For FreeBSD people running 2.2.x or later, add the compat21 package.
    If you don't already have it installed, do so by a
"/stand/sysinstall"
    "C" (for configure) - "D" (Distributions) - "Other" - "compat21"

    It's small in size.  Once installed, enter the following command:

      ln -s /usr/lib/compat/libc.so.2.2 /usr/lib/libc.so.2.2

    Reboot the computer

7.  Path.
    The path needs to be set - add /usr/local/jdk1.1/ to your path by

        export PATH=/usr/local/jdk1.1/bin:$PATH

                        or

        set path=(/usr/local/jdk1.1/bin $path)

[  INSTALL ICQ FOR JAVA   ]

8.  Download ICQ for Java (no directions available for how to do this.
    Ideas anyone? hehe)

    Put it in /usr/local/     (obviously this is a personal choice)

9.  Commands to enter:

  a)  cd /usr/local/
  b)  tar -xvzf ICQJava_Preview.tar.gz
         ... this will create a /usr/local/ICQJava/ directory
  c)  cd /usr/local/ICQJava/
  d)  vi install

    The original:

         #JAVA_HOME="/usr/local/java"
         JAVA_EXEC="$JAVA_HOME/bin/java"
         JAVA_CLASSES="$JAVA_HOME/lib/classes.zip"
         ICQ_HOME="$HOME/ICQJava"

    Edit to:

         JAVA_HOME="/usr/local/jdk1.1"
         JAVA_EXEC="$JAVA_HOME/bin/java"
         JAVA_CLASSES="$JAVA_HOME/lib/classes.zip"
         ICQ_HOME="/usr/local/ICQJava"

     Take note that the # in front of JAVA_HOME was removed.
     Save the file with those changes.

   e)  ./install

      If all goes well, you should get the message:
         Copyright c1996 Mirabilis LTD. All Rights Reserved
         http://www.mirabilis.com
         Installation finished

10.  Running ICQ
     Type the following command:
      a)      cd /usr/local/ICQJava/
      b)      ./ICQ

[ TROUBLESHOOTING ]
  This section is hard for me to take on alone.  I'll try to answer the
problems I experienced and how I solved them.

1.  SIGSEGV error / Core Dumps:
  For me this problem occured when the ICQ gui came up and once I
entered my UIN and password, and clicked "next" the whole thing core
dumped with a SIGSEGV error.
  The problem is probably that the font.properties file exists.  Delete
it.  It's in the .../jdk1.1/lib/ direcotory.  See my section #3-d.

  This may not apply to Linux users, though.  The Java Team put up an
URL which seemed to solve many Java people's errors with the SIGSEGV
problem.  URL:
http://www.blackdown.org/java-linux/archive/java-linux-devel@java.blackdown.org/msg00264.html

2.  Can't register an exiting User / Can't register New User:
  When trying to register an existing user or registering a new user, I
would get a message that said "ICQ Server down.  Please try again
later", or something similar to that.  Well, trying again didn't help.
The problem was that it couldn't resolve the local IP address.  The Java
Team posted how to fix this:

 *For people with fixed IP addresses:

   Edit the script file ICQ, and add :

            -localip 192.10.10.10

   to the end of the script.  Don't forget to replace 192.10.10.10
   with your actual IP address, though.  This change goes at the end
   of the very long line starting with "java -classpath ..."

 *For people with dynamic IP addresses:

   Edit the script file ICQ, and add :

            -localip 127.0.0.1

   to the end of the script.  This change goes at the end
   of the very long line starting with "java -classpath ..."

3.  On typing "./ICQ" I get the error:

bash-2.01# ./ICQ
./ICQ: /usr/local/jdk1.1.5/bin/java: not found
bash-2.01#

   The answer here is that you either don't have pdksh installed or the
symbolic link hasn't been set.  Refer above to section #5 on how to do
both of these.

4.  Don't hestitate to add to this list.  It can only help us all out!

[ POSTING TIPS ]

Put these things in your email:
  *  OS
  *  Version of ICQ
  *  output of "which java" command
  *  output of "java -version" command
  *  Your type of Connection (DialUp, Static/Dynamic IP, etc)
  *  and of course, be as specific as possible.

Also, if possible, please reply to the group as well as the individual
sender as many times everybody's having the same problem and is waiting
for a reply rather than re-asking what currently looks unanswered on the
group.

And if possible, when things are working for you (assuming you've had
trouble getting things working like I did, please POST how you did it!