Date:      Mon, 06 Jun 2016 10:47:04 -0400
From:      Ernie Luzar <luzar722@gmail.com>
To:        Levente <leventelist@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: stop ipfilter

ipfilter has 2 parts, ipmon which runs in userland that is seen in the
output of ps ax command. It can be stopped and started with the service
command.

The ipfilter firewall runs as part of the kernel. To stop the ipfilter
kernel part, you have to remove the enable statement from rc.conf and
reboot.

Now on occasion I some times want to nullify all my custom rule
processing just for debugging some application. In that case I add these
rules before all other rules in the rule set.

pass in quick on xl0 all
pass out quick on xl0 all

This causes all traffic to bypass all the rules followings them, in
effect stopping your custom rule set from processing and allowing all
traffic to pass through the firewall in both directions un-touched.
Thats as close to stopping ipfilter as you can get with out removing the
rc.conf enable statement and rebooting.