Date:      Fri, 26 Jul 2002 00:52:09 +0800
From:      Katinka Mills <katinka@magestower.com>
To:        freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: MGE USB UPS support in FreeBSD

On Fri, 26 Jul 2002 00:16, Dan Nelson wrote:
> In the last episode (Jul 26), Katinka Mills said:
> > >
> > > According to the website, the hidups driver is Linux only.
> >
> > Yeap that was what I read, did not know if we had a patched version,
> > DAMN it looks like I may have to engineer a USB to Serial port and
> > protocol convertor and make it emulate a Serial UPS :o(
>
> That may not work.  "usbhid" sounds like it's a USB HID (Human
> Interface Device), which means that it's not using a serial protocol at
> all.  If you're a programmer, take a look at the "uhid" manpage on
> FreeBSD, and see if the ioctls listed there map to what the Linux
> ushbid code is using.  Who knows; it might be an easy port.

No I was thinking more pick a ups driver that uses serial interface and
building a "translator" to fool the UPS into thinking the computer is using
usb and the server into thinking the UPS is Serial..

Regards,

Kat (I am an EE and program in asm all day, I have yet to do alot of C as ASM
pays 20x the amount of C programming)