Date:      Fri, 7 Jul 2006 09:17:23 -0700
From:      Brooks Davis <brooks@one-eyed-alien.net>
To:        Peter Jeremy <peterjeremy@optushome.com.au>
Cc:        Doug Barton <dougb@freebsd.org>, freebsd-current@freebsd.org, Michael Bushkov <bushman@rsu.ru>
Subject:   Re: nss_ldap and openldap importing

--YZ5djTAD1cGYuMQK

On Fri, Jul 07, 2006 at 07:18:50PM +1000, Peter Jeremy wrote:
> On Fri, 2006-Jul-07 10:06:55 +0400, Michael Bushkov wrote:
> >1. Having nss_ldap in the source gives an ability to use nss_ldap right=
=20
> >"out of the box" and equals it in rights with such nsswitch sources as N=
IS=20
> >and DNS. If we have NIS in the base system, I don't see any reasons not =
to=20
> >have nss_ldap. Besides, i'm sure, having nss_ldap in the base will make=
=20
> >users feeling more comfortable when dealing with it.
>=20
> I don't think this follows.  Things like X and perl can be installed
> from sysinstall with mininal effort.  I'd prefer to make it easier
> to install nss_ldap as a package than have it in the base system.

IMO there's a substantial difference between something like X or perl
and an authentication and authorization system in terms of the benefits
of integration.  Having X or perl broken because of a version mismatch
or what not is annoying, but you can generally work around it
particularly on a server.  Having all access other than console single
user broken due to breaking your login stuff is not so fixable.

> >2. I guess, we'll have to rewrite nss_ldap by ourselves sooner or later=
=20
> >(actually, I can do it), so current nss_ldap import can be viewed as the=
=20
> >first stage of the plan.
>=20
> It would seem cleaner to implement our own nss_ldap from scratch
> rather than importing a GPL one and then replacing it.  IMHO, having
> the GPL nss_ldap in the tree would make it harder to import another
> one.  Once people start using nss_ldap, they are going to get very
> picky about a replacement being bug-for-bug compatible.

That's a valid concern.

-- Brooks

--=20

--YZ5djTAD1cGYuMQK