Date:      Wed, 7 Apr 1999 09:10:13 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Aldrin L <aldrin@americasnet.com>, "Brian O'Shea" <boshea@ricochet.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Semaphores

On Tuesday,  6 April 1999 at 18:36:40 -0300, Aldrin L wrote:
> On Tue, 6 Apr 1999, Brian O'Shea wrote:
>
>> There are a few options depending on what you need semaphores for.
>> If you need process-shared semaphores (ones that can be used to
>> synchronize multiple processes, as opposed to just threads in the same
>> process), then you will need to use the SysV semaphore interface (so
>> you will need to compile a knernel with support for them).
>
> 	I was thinking about some sorta of serialization when writing to a
> data file. My project is a SNPP (rfc1861) <-> TAP gateway for alphanumeric
> paging devices. For simplicity and to faster devel., i chose to write is
> as as an attached process to xinetd. The problem is that i need to write
> batches of messages, and i think i have to care about its serialization.
> Or not, if i do it atomically. Does FreeBSD supports the posixen "Atomic
> Operations"?

Why not use file locking?  That's what it's for.

>> p.s.  Is there any particular reason for why you don't want to recompile
>> your kernel?
>
> 	The first: just to know which IPC options i had under freebsd;
> 	Secondly: I'm a lazy person. Just want to avoid kernel
>       compiles.

It sounds like your laziness could get you into a whole lot more
work.  You just have to make sure these options are in your config
file.  It's not much:

   # These three options provide support for System V Interface
   # Definition-style interprocess communication, in the form of shared
   # memory, semaphores, and message queues, respectively.
   #
   options		SYSVSHM
   options		SYSVSEM
   options		SYSVMSG