Date:      Tue, 7 Aug 2001 10:33:50 +0100
From:      Dan <fbsdstable@stormbringer.clara.co.uk>
To:        Daichi GOTO <daichi@ongs.gr.jp>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Watching DVD's in -stable

Daichi GOTO wrote:

[snip]
> > > But my built vlc can not run. It starts with core and down
> > > immediately. Did you meet the same situation?
[snip]

I used to have that problem when I was running XFree86 4.0.3 -
there was a problem with the Xv (hardware video support) driver
for my graphics card (3DFX Voodoo 5). I believe XFree86 4 uses
the same 'tdfx' driver for all 3DFX Voodoo cards, so if yours is
one of these, this may be your problem also.

When I upgraded to XFree86 4.1.0 from the ports, the problem
went away and vlc runs fine now (the picture is a little jerky, but
I'm blaming that on a slow data rate from the DVD drive.)

You can diagnose problems of this type by running 'xvinfo' and
checking for any obvious problems in the information it gives
about your Xv setup and graphics card. For example, under
X 4.0.3, 'xvinfo' on my system included the line:

 maximum XvImage size: 1024 x 0

...which was evidently not a useful size. Under 4.1.0 it reports

 maximum XvImage size: 2048 x 2048

HTH,

Dan