Date:      Sun, 20 Sep 2020 15:58:09 +0000
From:      Rick Macklem <rmacklem@uoguelph.ca>
To:        Alan Somers <asomers@freebsd.org>, FreeBSD Hackers <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: RFC: copy_file_range(3)

Alan Somers wrote:=0A=
>copy_file_range(2) is nifty, but it has a few sharp edges:=0A=
>1) Certain file systems don't support it, necessitating a write/read based=
=0A=
>fallback=0A=
>2) It doesn't handle sparse files as well as SEEK_HOLE/SEEK_DATA=0A=
>3) It's slightly tricky to both efficiently deal with holes and also=0A=
>promptly respond to signals=0A=
>=0A=
>These problems aren't terribly hard, but it seems to me like most=0A=
>applications that use copy_file_range would share the exact same=0A=
>solutions.  In particular, I'm thinking about cp(1), dd(1), and=0A=
>install(8).  Those three could benefit from sharing a userland wrapper tha=
t=0A=
>handles the above problems.=0A=
>=0A=
>Should we add such a wrapper to libc?  If so, what should it be called, an=
d=0A=
>should it be public or just private to /usr/src ?=0A=
There has been a discussion on src-committers which I suggested should=0A=
be taken to a public mailing list.=0A=
=0A=
The basic question is...=0A=
Whether or not the copy_file_range(2) syscall should be compatible with=0A=
the Linux one.=0A=
When I did the syscall, I tried to make it Linux-compatible, arguing that=
=0A=
Linux is now a de-facto standard.=0A=
The Linux syscall only works on regular files, which is why Alan's patch fo=
r=0A=
cp required a "fallback to the old way" for VCHR files like /dev/null.=0A=
=0A=
He is considering a wrapper in libc to provide FreeBSD specific semantics,=
=0A=
which I have no problem with, so long as the naming and man page make=0A=
it clear that it is not compatible with the Linux syscall.=0A=
(Personally, I'd prefer a wrapper in libc to making the actual syscall non-=
Linux=0A=
 compatible, but that is just mho.)=0A=
=0A=
Hopefully this helps clarify what Alan is asking, rick=0A=
=0A=
-Alan=0A=