Date:      Sat, 6 Jan 2018 14:17:23 -0800
From:      Kevin Oberman <rkoberman@gmail.com>
To:        Yuri <yuri@rawbw.com>
Cc:        "ports@freebsd.org" <ports@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Ruby version question

On Sat, Jan 6, 2018 at 1:41 PM, Yuri <yuri@rawbw.com> wrote:

> In order to get a Ruby version, I run this command:
>
> > $ ruby -r rbconfig -e 'C = RbConfig::CONFIG' -e 'puts C["ruby_version"]'
>
> > 2.4
>

> However, on Ubuntu 17.10 the same command returns 2.3.0 (with the minor
> version of zero).
>

> My question is which one is correct, or "more correct"? Should it rather
> be 2.4.0? Or both are correct?
>

> I recommended one upstream maintainer to get the current ruby version
> using this command, and then to use 'pkg-config ruby-${THIS_VERSION}
> --libs', but he says that Ubuntu prints it in a different format.
>

> 2.4 matches .pc file on FreeBSD, and doesn't on Ubuntu.
>
> Is this a bug on Ubuntu? On FreeBSD?
>

> Yuri

You seem to assume that Ubuntu and FreeBSD both have the same version of
Ruby installed. The current version in FreeBSD is  2.4.3.  2.3 is still
available as lang/ruby23, but should only be used when some code won't work
with 2.4. The Ubuntu system is still running 2.3. Have you checked for
available upgrades?

On FreeBSD you can get the current version of an installed package with the
command "pkg info -E ruby". The trailing ",1" indicates that at some point
ruby was rolled back for some reason, but it is not really a part of the
version number.
E-mail: rkoberman@gmail.com