Date:      Wed, 25 Sep 2019 06:47:12 +0000
From:      CSO@riseup.net
To:        freebsd-x11@freebsd.org
Subject:   The support for AMD graphics and how freebsd hardware support

 Hello,

 freebsd-current and questions mailing list told me x11 mailing list
 may give me more info to my following questions:

 1. Does freebsd current and freebsd stable 12 fully support all features
 of AMD Radeon RX 5700, Vega and RX 500 series including the hardware video
 decoding features? The linux kernel 5.3 built in open source driver
 have full suppport of all the features in above graphics cards so they
 work out of box in linux distribution with kernel 5.3.

2. From website, https://wiki.freebsd.org/Graphics#AMD_Graphics, it says
"Update drm-stable to Linux 4.16 for FreeBSD 12.0". Does it mean freebsd
hardware support or drivers are copied or translated from linux kernel
codes? What is the current status of the linux kernel version in freebsd
current and stable 12 and upcoming 12.1?

3. How are freebsd hardware support really developed? In linux kernel
mailing list, there are over 2,000 emails per day from hardware vendors
such as Intel, AMD, Huawei, Samsung, Sony submitting patches or hardware
drivers. What about BSD? I did not find any such equivalence in freebsd
after googling.

Mark