Date:      Wed, 16 Jan 2008 00:26:34 +0100
From:      =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Johan_Str=F6m?= <johan@stromnet.se>
To:        Aristedes Maniatis <ari@ish.com.au>
Cc:        emj@emj.se, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Backup solution suggestions

On Jan 15, 2008, at 22:09 , Aristedes Maniatis wrote:

> On 15/01/2008, at 8:52 PM, Johan Str=F6m wrote:
>
>> I'm looking to invest in some new hardware for backup. probably =20
>> some kind of NAS (a 4-disk 1U NAS or something in that size). The =20
>> thing is that I won't be the only one with access to this box, =20
>> thus I would like to secure my data.
>> What I would like is encryption both for the transfer to the box, =20
>> and encrypted on disk. The data on disk should not be readable by =20
>> anyone but me (ie the other user(s) of the box should not be able =20
>> to read it, at least not without a big effort).
>
> Take a look at bacula. It is a proper backup system, meaning that =20
> it does incremental backups, etc. Storage pools can be encrypted. =20
> Not sure if the network stream can be, but that could be solved =20
> with an ssh tunnel. And it is open source, reliable and runs nicely =20=

> on FreeBSD.

My main problem with existing solutions is this "gap" of encryption =20
on the backup server side. I dont want it to be readable outside of =20
my box (without encryption keys ofcourse), so as soon as I send it of =20=

from my box I want it to be encrypted over the link, and down on the =20
disk. Not decrypted on the remote box, to then be encrypted again =20
(with keys available on that box) and then stored to disk. That would =20=

allow any users of that box (yes sure you can have file permissions =20
but lets assume someone else have root access there) to read my files.

Simple Example:

I create regular tarball (gziped maybee) with some files i want to =20
backup, Then i encrypt this file with ie gpg. Then i send of this =20
file using some unspecified network protocol to the storage server.
Encrypted all the way, from my end to the remote disk..
The downside is that it is a static file.. not a "dynamic =20
filesystem", nothing I can mount and have easy access to individual =20
files from. *Thats* what I'm looking for.

--
Johan=