Date:      Tue, 2 Oct 2012 14:44:46 -0400
From:      Eitan Adler <lists@eitanadler.com>
To:        Paul Schmehl <pschmehl_lists@tx.rr.com>
Cc:        Lowell Gilbert <freebsd-ports-local@be-well.ilk.org>, FreeBSD Ports List <freebsd-ports@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: How to check out ports

On 2 October 2012 14:37, Paul Schmehl <pschmehl_lists@tx.rr.com> wrote:
> I obviously wasn't very clear.  I'm a port maintainer.  I need to update one
> of my ports.  I used to do this by checking out the port into a
> purpose-created directory in which I would use cvs to make changes and test.
> After everything checked out, I would submit the diff.

We need to be better about announcing these changes as not to
frustrate maintainers. :)

> Now cvs isn't working, so how, as a port maintainer, do I check out a single
> port so I can update it and submit it in a PR?

You should do things the same way you did before, but instead you
should use svn to checkout out your port. Note that 'module names' no
longer work so you must use the full name:
e..g., svn checkout svn://svn.freebsd.org/ports/head/editors/nano

It may help to keep a folder of "ports-I-maintain" with the ports you
maintain checked out. Before you update them do "svn update *" and to
generate a diff do "svn diff foldername"

--
Eitan Adler