Date:      Sat, 17 Jan 1998 01:50:34 -0700
From:      Blaine Minazzi <bminazzi@w3page.com>
To:        isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Is FreeBSD UNIX?

Just call it FreeBSD.

I tell people that we use the best operating system available. It is a
BSD version of the Unix operating system.

Just like asking for a "Kleenex", telling people that FreeBSD is a
"flavor" of "unix" they will know what you mean.

There are so damn many flavors of "unix" that it is justly used as a
nondescript  term to describe a type of O/S.  OSF1, Sys V, HPUX, DGUX,
Irix, SunOS, Solaris, SCO Unix, Interactive Unix, BSDI, FreeBSD, NetBSD,
BSD/OS, NeXT, Linux, venix, AIX, Dynix, Ultrix, AU/X, Centix.....

I am sure I am forgetting about a few thousand or so variations, and
they have all been called "unix".

If someone throws a hissy fit over a name, they need to take a stress
pill.

I disclose the fact that we run FreeBSD, but I am _DAMN PROUD_ of the
fact that we use it. ( Kudo's to the core team. )

Whenever someone gets all bent out of shape about us running a "Free
Unix" I remind them that with our income, we can afford any damn
operating system on the planet.... And I simply choose to use the best
one for the job. The fact that it costs me almost nothing is just icing
on the cake.  I also see people gloating over the fact that THEIR
SERVERS ARE BIG BUCK SILLY GRAPHICS MACHINES ( or whatever ), and not
"pc clones running a free unix."  I tell those people that it is the
customer that pays for the hardware, and if my _wimpy_ little pentium
166's sit here at 90% idle most of the time, Why in the hell would I
want to spend thousands on a system that will not be noticably faster
for the end user?  And, when the silly graphics machine breaks, how fast
can you get parts?  Hell, we can afford to keep entire spare servers
just laying around in case of a failure.  Try that with a big bucks
machine.

In a nutshell, educate the customer to what you use and why....

Blaine