Date:      Tue, 22 Sep 1998 15:37:42 -0500
From:      "Jeffrey J. Mountin" <jeff-ml@mountin.net>
To:        Paul Stewart <paul@kawartha.com>, freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: NFS questions.. dumb ones..<g>

At 12:11 PM 9/22/98 -0400, Paul Stewart wrote:
>Hi there.. I'm trying to setup NFS on a series of FreeBSD boxes so that I
>can tar.gz them up remotely... been a long time since I've used NFS and it
>was on Linux...
>
>I've got the following on my exports file (www.kawartha.com):
>
>/ -maproot=root:wheel proxy
>
>On the client side (proxy.kawartha.com) I'm typing:
>
>mount -t nfs -o -r=1024 proxy:/ /mnt
>
>I've enabled NFS server on www and NFS client on proxy in the rc.conf but
>I know I'm missing something.
>
>The error I'm getting is "program not registered" or similar...

I'd guess from the error that you have portmap enabled.  Make sure that portmap, mountd, and nfsd are running on the server.  The client needs portmap and nfsiod.  You most likely need to HUP mountd, which should be done after changing the /etc/exports file.  A 'showmount -e' is helpful to check.  Or it may be that portmap needs a HUP if it isn't aware of mountd.  Been a while.

Just curious why you are exporting the root, considering the security (or lack of) of that.

Jeff Mountin - Unix Systems TCP/IP networking
jeff@mountin.net