Date:      Sun, 28 Mar 1999 14:36:39 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Snapshots suggestions

>  - sysinstall seems to look only in /pub/FreeBSD for the
>    installation packages.  This makes it difficult to install
>    a snapshot from an FTP site; you have to enter the complete
>    URL manually.  It would probably be a good thing to look
>    into /pub/FreeBSD/snapshots/<platform> as well.

Yes, I'm in the middle of reviewing this now - sysinstall's still got
a lot of legacy crap in it vis-a-vis its search heuristic for finding
things in a given release, and it still expects a single architecture,
single release per media sort of structure which is now clearly bogus.
I need to give it some serious thought and redesign that whole scheme
yet again, but I've been hesitant to do so until the mirrors caught up
and it wouldn't turn out to be a pessimization.  I think pretty much
everybody's caught up to the ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD layout
by now so I guess now's as good a time as any to do it.

>  - On the snapshot sites ({releng*,current}.freebsd.org),
>    there's a directory /pub/FreeBSD/current which contains
>    some common stuff (XFree, compat22, packages).  On the
>    main site (ftp.freebsd.org), the same is contained in
>    /pub/FreeBSD/FreeBSD-current, which in turn is a symlink
>    to branches/-current.  It would make mirroring a lot
>    easier if the directories had been named the same on both
>    sites.

I think I can do that - good point.

- Jordan