Date:      Tue, 07 Mar 1995 07:21:12 -0800
From:      David Greenman <davidg@Root.COM>
To:        Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.org, phk@ref.tfs.com
Subject:   Re: the chatterbug categorized

>>I belive that David and I have understood the chatterbug, now we just
>>need to find it and fix it.
>
>>What happens is that some vnodes are not properly freed when the vm_object
>>is freed, this has two effects:  one is that the list of free vnodes are
>>too short to make the name-cache efficient (the chatter) and the other
>>is that the system will continue to allocate more vnodes, (the gradual
>>loss of available memory)
>
>>Now to isolate it, we need to know when it happens, I can reproduce it here
>>with:
>>	cd /usr/src/release
>>	make release CHROOTDIR=<500Mb space>
>
>There seems to be a problem with the increment of object->ref_count in
>vm_mmap.c.

   That would be an understatement. John and I managed to introduce multiple
object reference count bugs when we rewrote vm_mmap(). Object references are
being gained by subtle side effects that were overlooked; if I hadn't put
diagnostic code in there to prove this, I wouldn't believe it. I'm not
altogether certain that there aren't other external (object reference count
related) bugs...it's going to take me a bit to follow all the code paths. I
hope to have a fix by late tonight.
   Thanks to Poul and Bruce for helping track this one down. Geeze, and I
tried so hard to get the damn reference counts correct in there!

-DG