Date:      Mon, 31 Dec 2012 10:43:46 +0100
From:      "O. Hartmann" <ohartman@zedat.fu-berlin.de>
To:        =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Bernhard_Fr=F6hlich?= <decke@bluelife.at>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: emulators/virtualbox-ose-kmod: always use compiler "cc" which is on my basesystem CLANG 3.2 (FreeBSD 10.0)

--------------enigE76047FA424AB1864885EE88

Am 12/31/12 07:22, schrieb Bernhard Fr=F6hlich:
> Am 30.12.2012 15:15 schrieb "O. Hartmann" <ohartman@zedat.fu-berlin.de>=
:

>> Port emulators/virtualbox-ose-kmod is known not to compile with CLANG
>> 3.1/3.2. Therefor, it should be compiled with gcc.
>>
>> Either setting USE_GCC=3D4.6+ or USE_GCC=3Dany in the port's makefile =
or by
>> setting a global file with the directive
>>
>> # emulators/virtualbox-ose
>> .if ${.CURDIR:M*/emulators/virtualbox-ose*}
>> USE_GCC=3D                4.6+
>> .endif
>>

>> do not work! Compiling the port is always nailed down to use "cc" whic=
>> is CLANG 3.2 by default.
>=20
> Vbox from ports can only be compiled with base GCC 4.2 so USE_GCC=3Dany=

> should be right but I've never tested it. You could also try the new vb=
ox
> from github which includes a patch to build correctly with GCC 4.6.
>=20
> http://github.com/decke/freebsd-vbox

Hello.

As I wrote, I can tell the port's Makefile what I want to use as the
compiler, somehow it seems that there is an override. I used USE_GCC=3Dan=
to force the usage of the legacy gcc, or even USE_GCC=3D4.6+ to use eithe=
gcc-4.6 or in my case gcc-4.7. Then I should see at compile time instead
of "cc" "gcc" or "gcc4[67]". But it doesn't, it is always stuck with
"cc". This happens to the port on FreeBSD 9.1-PRE and FreeBSD 10.0-CUR
and I suspect there is something wrong with the ports build subsystem in
that case. Or there is a hidden mistake I make on all systems. But I
didn't change my /etc/make.conf or /etc/src.conf since the last time
when the build still worked, that was end November or so.

Well, since CLANG is now the base compiler on FreeBSD CURRENT, it should
be asured that the port respects a delegation of the compiler to use. I
think this is a bug which can be fixed, but I'm not sure whether I'm
capable of finding it, since the portsystem seems very complex and setup
with a lot of pitfalls.

Thanks,
Oliver